Saturday, October 9, 2010

My First 1/2 Marathon!

Today my 12 weeks of training led to my first successful half marathon! I actually slept really well last night, but was definitely nervous this morning before we actually started the race. I rode over with Judy and Leanne so that Nate and the kids could come just before I finished. When we arrived it was soooo cold...I questioned my decision to wear no-sleeves. I debated wearing my sweatshirt, but knew from my past runs that I would get warm quickly enough so I went without it. The 5k, 10k, and 1/2 marathon all began at the same time, in the same spot. There were a lot of people and it was interesting to see the crowd thin out at each turn around for the other distances. The race definitely became a race against the clock and myself, not against anyone else. I was doing really well staying under my goal of being under a 10min/mile pace until just after the turnaround point at about mile 7. The course became a constant gradual uphill climb that I was not prepared for at all. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to run the last 4+ miles and my min/mile time shows it.  Besides my under 10min/mile goal, I also wanted to be able to run the whole race with out walking. I am happy to be able to say that inspite of how tired and sore I got I never walked any point in the race! It was so great to be able to see Nate, Hannah, and Elijah as I came towards the finish line. I ended up finishing with an "official" time of 2:08:52, although the photographic evidence shows that it was probably 2:08:49 (but whose counting!☺). I was 3rd in my age group and received an award....the first time in any of the races I've done! This was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I am already looking forward to when I can run my next 1/2 marathon! 
Here I come!

It's almost over!

The finish line
I think this picture is evidence that my "official" time is wrong!


My award for finishing 3rd in my age group.
It's a picture of a point on the trail we raced on.




my mile splits:
9:52 mile 1
9:08 mile 2   9:41 mile 8
9:30 mile 3   9:41 mile 9
9:30 mile 4   10:37 mile 10
9:57 mile 5   10:17 mile 11
9:31 mile 6   10:19 mile 12
9:49 mile 7   10:53 mile 13.1

Total: 2:08:52 "official" time  9:50min/mile pace

2 comments:

HB said...

GREAT JOB JESS!!!!!! What an accomplishment! I have no doubt you could do a full marathon.

Marcie said...

Awesome!!! That is so cool! :) I can't even imagine running that far - not without dying at the end! :)