Saturday, March 21, 2009

Leak!

Okay so here is the leak story...
Last night about 3am I woke up because of a combination of having to go to the bathroom and my foot itching. I tried to go back to sleep after going to the bathroom, but my foot was driving me crazy. I went back into the bathroom and turned on the light to inspect my foot. I definitely got bit by something so I decided to put calimine lotion on it so that I could hopefully go back to sleep! I turned to throw my cottonball away when I noticed a piece of toilet paper on the floor right by the side of the toilet. I could tell that it was wet...I didn't think that Nate was that bad of an aim, but I used a paper towel to clean it up anyway. When I wiped it all up I noticed the caulking around the toliet was cracked there and that water was seeping back where I had just dried! Ugh. I wasn't going to pay much mind to it until I rememeber that Nate pointed out a spot on our suspended ceiling in the kitchen that looked like water had leaked. I had brushed it off a couple weeks ago because the spot was dry and never got bigger so I assumed it was like that since we moved in. Anyways once I remembered that I figured I had better check that spot before I went back to sleep. As soon as I turned on the kitchen light I knew it wasn't good. The little "spot" no longer existed, but the whole tile was sagging and I could just tell it was wet. So I brought one of our kitchen chairs over so that I could take the tile down and see if I could do anything about the leak. As I tried to take the tile out a "ton" of water came out from around the tile right on top of me!!!! I was pretty much soaked...not fun for 3:30 in the morning. The good thing is that when I took the tile the rest of the way out and moved the insulation I found that the water was leaking from the pipe that brings clean water to the tank of the toilet and not the pipe that the "dirty" water leaves it!!! Thankfully there wasn't a major leak...it must have been accumulating for a while. I was able to clean up the mess, but a bowl under the pipe and go back to bed. This morning there wasn't much water in the bowl and we've further discovered that it only leaks if we flush the toilet. We are going to try to hold out until Monday to call a plumber and hopefully save some money by not having them come on a weekend! Hopefully tonight won't be so eventful!!! :)

2 comments:

HB said...

The question is why is a pregnant woman climbing up on a chair and fixing a ceiling!?! You better be careful! Hopefully the plumber won't cost too much. =)

Jessica said...

I wondered if anyone would catch that...it's one of those things I just did without even thinking twice. :)
We actually think the leak has stopped though! The bowl hasn't had any water in it since yesterday afternoon and the wood is completely dry too! Weird huh?