Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Marathon That Wasn't

It really has been a few weeks coming.  My long runs have been difficult...way more than usual.  My short runs have been frustrating to say the least.  Overall for the last month I have slowly stopped enjoying running.  I know marathon training shouldn't be easy or necessarily enjoyable, but my mental attitude towards running has really been suffereing.  Last weekend was a scheduled 11-14 mile run.  I was really pushing in my mind for the 14 since two weeks before I had ran 16 (13.1 and 2.9) but at mile 10 I broke down.   I started to walk home, but then decided to get to 11 miles since that was the minimum I had to do.  I knew I would have another chance to hit 14 this weekend.  I headed out this morning just seeing what would happen.  I was good through mile 5 with my pace and how I was feeling.  Then between mile 5 and 10 I hit another wall.  I just knew it was time to give up the marathon training.  I gutted out a half marathon, came home and announced the "hanging up of my visor" in regard to the marathon.  I feel a little sad and disappointed that I'm not doing it, but I know it is the right decision.  I want to have my love and passion for running back and I'm pretty sure it will return! A marathon is in my future, just not now...

No comments: