Sunday, September 11, 2011

Three Months...and Ten Years...Ago

My baby girl is three months old today. I really am not sure where the time has gone...oh wait I do...trips to the pool and park, snuggles on the couch, walks in town, going to the school to see Dadda, and now my return to work. My newborn is becoming an infant and all too soon a toddler! She loves to talk and smile now and finds "joy" in her siblings, Dadda, and I. Her taggie and fist are her favorite comfort things right now. Keilah is wearing anywhere between 3 month and 9 month clothes. She sleeps a good portion of the night which is awesome. She nurses about 5-7 times a day during the week and has only taken one small bottle in the morning each day at daycare. Keilah loves when I sing to her...her favorites are "her song", our "Good Morning" song, and "When I Take a Bath". She just is so quiet, listening and smiling! It is too cute! It's been hard going back to work, but we're all adjusting to the change. We definitely enjoy our time together at lunch and in the evenings.

Today also marks ten years since the 9/11 terror attacks. Watching all the recent news reports and specials was so different with Hannah beside me asking "why did the plane hit that building?" and "why are all the people running?". While I gave her easy answers and changed the channel I realized that someday she will know what happened, even if she can't grasp the magnitude. I remember I was watching the Today Show, eating breakfast in my maroon sweatshirt and Houghton track sweatpants. I called my mom at work after they said about a plane hitting the World Trade Center...I think she was upset that I bothered to call her about something like that.  Then as I continued watching I saw the second plane hit...and then I was scared. I kept watching and hearing about the other two planes and when I met my mom for lunch I could see that she was concerned too. I remember going to work as an athletic trainer at Plattsburgh State and everyone trying to figure out what would happen from this point on. In town today there was a parade to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the attacks.  Hannah and Elijah watched as the military officers, fire trucks, and police went by, holding their flags innocently. Someday they'll understand what happened, but I pray that they won't ever have to experience anything like we have.

1 comment:

HB said...

Jess, I agree that it's totally different on the 9/11 anniversary when we have kids old enough to ask what's going on. Before church we showed a video about 9/11 and Isaiah was asking what was going on. So tonight over ice cream we explained it as well as we could what happened. He seemed most disturbed that these men thought they were on a mission from God. "But why would they want to kill themselves too?" Boy they ask tough questions! I told him that in that culture their parents are proud of them when their boys die that way. He realized how wrong that is. But it was neat to look at the whole event through the eyes of a 6 yo.