Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolution 5k 2012

Earlier this week Nate suggested that I run the Resolution 5k in State College.  At first I wasn't going to even consider it, but then I looked it up online and since I was already itching for a race, I registered.  We headed over to State College in the afternoon to do a little shopping and for Nate and the kids to get dinner before the race (at 6:30).  Thankfully it was a mild evening for the last day of December, but with three kids and only a double stroller things were a little dysfunctional just prior to and during the race for Nate.  Next year it should be better with everyone being a year older! :)
I was nervous as usual before the race.  I knew that I wanted to start near the front, even though a lot of people would pass me.  Knowing there were over 700 in last year's race I didn't want to be stuck behind a mass of people!  By looking at my Garmin I knew that I was running fast from the start, but felt good and was really able to push myself through the entire race.  My moderate hill running that I've added since the half marathon definitely paid off!  I finished the race with a time of 25:37...an 8:15min/mile pace!!!  I crushed my last 5k time by nearly a minute and a half!  I ended up finishing 9th out of 42 in my age group (30-34) and 339 out of 978 total runners!!!  Happy New Year to me!

No comments: