Saturday, May 26, 2012

Black Mo 10k 2012

Today may just have been the hardest race I have run to date!!  I was physically prepared for the mileage (6.2) but not the weather!  Since I have been running in the mornings (before the sun is even fully up!) I have not had any heat acclimation.  I knew all week that the weather was forcasted to be hot and humid, but I didn't think it would affect me so much.  I wasn't entirely sure how to pace this distance either for a race which made it a challenge too.  I definitely started out too fast (8:00/mile) especially considering the heat.  I felt okay until about three miles in maintaining a sub-9 min pace, but then we came out onto the pavement and into the sun and I was done!  When I passed where the finish line was at about the 5k mark I was actually wondering if I could just finish that distance and call it a day! I did managed to struggle through the last half of the race although my pace increased to the 10:00min/mile. I haven't ran that slow in months!!!  The race also had three 180' turn arounds because of detouring which made it an unusual course.  In the end I did finish with a PR 58:34 for a 10k and was able to return to the race that started it all two years ago!  I was also 7th out of 23 in the 30-39 age group...not going to complain about that. The best part of my day was seeing my babies and hubby at the finish.  Nothing will beat the feeling of seeing them there waiting for me. :)


1 comment:

HB said...

When Dan ran his marathon, the heat really messed up his time. It was so hot in the sun. The boys and I were miserable and we weren't even running. I know he would have reached his goal if it hadn't been so hot. :/