Sunday, February 7, 2010

How We Met

The Valentine's Extravaganza has begun...Here is our story!
It was Memorial Day weekend in 2002 when I moved 8 1/2 hours from home to "Central" PA. I didn't know a single person here, except for my new boss and his wife who came over the day I arrived. They invited me to their house the next day for a Memorial Day picnic with some of their other friends. I spent all of Monday morning unpacking and ended up just wearing what I had on all day-overall shorts, a tank top, and a bandana in my hair. (yeah, he still remembers what I was wearing!!) I was pretty much a mess! When I arrived at my bosses house there was another family and a guy (Nate!) and girl about my age. I was introduced to them all and assumed that Nate and the girl were together since they were sitting together and talking a lot with each other. I had a fun time visiting with everyone and was glad to make a few connections in my new hometown, but not a "love at first sight" moment.
Fast forward to September...Nate and I had run into each other one or two other times during the summer, but nothing more than "hi, how are you" conversations ensued. My boss would mention that Nate had been at their house for a game night or something and I would kind of wish I had been able to be there (I later learned that he was thinking the same thing!). At the end of September, on a Saturday night, we both ended up at the local church-run youth hangout. (my housemate was the coordinator so I often went to help out). We just started talking and playing games and pool together. At the end of the night he walked me to my car and asked if I was doing anything the next day. Of course I wasn't, so he invited me to go to his church's picnic the next afternoon. Yay...my first date! :) It ended up that his football meeting the next morning ran late so we missed the picnic, but ate at an awesome italian restaurant. It was a great chance to get to know more about each other and began the rest of our lives together!!
Check out more "How We Met" stories at Mama M's.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Stopping by from the Valentine's Day Extravaganza. What a great story. You have a beautiful family!