Sunday, June 3, 2012

5k PR and Mileage Slump

Yesterday I ran the Punxsy Phil Fighters 5k for the second time.  I felt pretty good considering my running has been a struggle lately.  I ended up getting a PR by 3 whole seconds :) with a time of 25:34 (8:14 pace).  Hannah ran in the Kid's Dash too...she was nervous beforehand, but did the race and even got a Finisher's Medal. :) It was a lot of fun for all of us. 
 Our camera is being frustrating lately so we weren't able to get pictures of either of us while we were actually running!

The last week has been a struggle for me with running.  Since the 10k last week we've been passing a virus around our family that has involved a high fever, stuffy nose, and cough.  I gave up my run on Sunday to take Elijah to the doctor and then spend time as a family at the pool.  That gave me only 17.5 miles for the week.  This week I only ran two days because of being up in the night with sick kids and not feeling well myself.  I try to do my long runs on Saturday mornings (trying to get as much done before kids are awake). but the race yesterday pushed my long run to today.  Nate's golf time is Sunday mornings so I finally got out for a long run this afternoon.  I don't like doing them then just because I am away when my babies are awake, but sometimes it happens.  I set out to do anything more than my 3.5 mile loop, but hoping to get six or more.  I purposefully did not push my pace, something I tend to do to try to get my long runs over more quickly, but not always the best idea.  I ended up doing 7.5 miles which was about where I needed to be on my training plan.  Tomorrow starts (unofficial) marathon training for the race on September 16th.  I am more than a little intimidated by the thought of doing the training, but I have until August 1st to register so I can see if I can get the planned long runs in.  Here's to what I hope will be a better running week ahead!

No comments: