Now that I am in marathon training this weekend was scheduled to be a long 14 mile run. I probably should have thought about that before registering for a 5k race! I thought about running my long run on Sunday, but Nate had a golf "date" already so Saturday it had to be. I got up at 4:45, drank my coffee and ate a banana and part of an energy bar thing. I was out the door by 5:25 and planned to run for 11 miles or 2 hours, however I felt. I would add on the other 3 miles I needed at the 5k. I wasn't thrilled about splitting the distance up, but really didn't have any option. I felt okay running, no stomach issues like last week! I drank water and ate a Honey Stinger around mile 5 and then grabbed another water bottle around mile 8. Between mile 9 and 10 I had the "brilliant" idea that since I was doing okay running, but wouldn't have time to do 14 miles I would run a half marathon. Then I could say that I ran a half marathon and a 5k in the same day. :) I ran the 13.1 miles in 2:09:25 (9:52 pace), not my fast but not my slowest either.
I came home and tried to eat and drink enough before the 5k two hours later! I drank a bottle of nunn water for the first time between my two runs. I like the not sweet taste of it, but the saline-ish taste might take a little getting used to. I think it will be a good counter to the sweet GU packs and Honey Stingers during my marathon training. I changed into my racing clothes and headed out to the race.
We arrived just before the start. Thankfully it was a little delayed so we didn't feel too rushed. I knew that it being a small race I had a chance to do well, but in other small races I've still missed placing in my age group. I didn't have too high of expectations though, because my legs were already sore from my earlier run. I started out a little slower than my recent 5k race pace, but felt okay. Between mile 1 and 1.5 it was all up hill which was not fun, but once I saw runners coming down past me I was happy knowing it was an out and back...once I got to the top I could coast back down! Coming to the finish line I realized the distance would be short (2.88 vs 3.1) which was disappointing, but my pace was good (8:43). No PR, but when results were given I finished 1st in my age group!!! No medal, but I did get a nice racing shirt.
So in the end I ran an unofficial half marathon and (almost) a 5k in the same day.
Total miles= 15.98.
Total miles= 15.98.
No comments:
Post a Comment